Click one of the links below to take you to our new home!

Saturday, September 23, 2006

A Pause in Our Regular Program



Gina is away at the ACFW conference and left me (Heather of Graced by Christ) in charge of the blog. "No problem, I can handle it," I said.

"Just post the drafts of those who don't post their own each day. It should be fine," she said.

Yup. Just peachy.

Except that Michelle of Just a Minute didn't get a post up and I can't get in touch with her. My assumption is that this post still holds true. It's the last thing she posted and if things didn't go well I can certainly understand why she didn't get her blog post up (and that means she really needs our prayers. In fact, please take a moment, stop over there and let her know you are praying for her.)

This and all the other craziness that comes with being in charge of someone else's blog got me thinking. Life has a habit of getting in the way of writing. Often, it is a love-hate relationship. If we have no experiences we have nothing to write but if we have too much busy-ness then we have no time to write. It is such a delicate balance.

This is especially so when the words start coming. While looking for Michelle's email address, I noticed her new favorite verse: My thoughts grew hot within me and began to burn, igniting a fire of words. Psalm 39:3 As a writer this happens too often, the urge to write growing so intense that we would willingly lay aside everything else for the time to do so. How do we stay balanced? How do we find enough time to do all the things that the Lord is calling us to do, especially when we also have the urge to write it all out?

This is where constant reliance on the Lord comes in. There is a time for everything under heaven. For us that means that there is a time to live and a time to write. We have to, as Elisabeth Elliot says, do the next thing, relyng on Him to show us when it is time to write.

I know many writers set aside a time each day to write, others write only when inspiration hits. I have tried both.

A couple weeks ago I tried to make a schedule. I have done it before and thought, with all the things we are doing now, that maybe I had better make one so we could get everything done. I scheduled in school time, writing time, ministry and Bible study time, chore time, meal time, etc. I posted it on the wall and determined that the kids and I would follow it and thus get more done. I promptly forgot about it until the next week when I looked up and noticed the schedule. I talked to the kids about it, how we should all try to use it. They didn't like the idea. I said I would go pray about it.

During my prayer the Lord reminded me in that nearly audible, quiet voice He likes to use, that He does not go by the clock and that He did not design me as a by the clock person. He was right, of course. I get much more accomplished, with much less stress, if I keep my eyes on Him and ask Him what comes next.

So now I am on His schedule instead of my own and know that even though I have not planned my day, HE has.

The conferance, the hospitalization, the craziness of the blog, even when to write; they are all in His plans and He knows what comes next. So today I would remind you also to not worry about all that needs done and to instead, do the next thing. His timing is perfect and His ways are awesome.

Heather Young is a saved by grace, homeschooling, mother of three, wife of one, writer, artist, and web designer who drinks way too much coffee and spends too much time at her computer. She writes for Graced by Christ, Everyday Miracles, and Writer....Interrupted. Someday, God willing, she will finish one of her WIP and attempt to get it published, but not until God says the timing is right.

2 comments:

Gina Conroy said...

I'm back from ACFW! Thanks so much for keeping up the blog! And, FYI, I found Michelle for you. She was at ACFW and being that there was not free internet service and tons of meetings to go to, she and I weren't able to get over to the blog. But we've had some VERY exciting news from several of our members and you'll just have to wait to hear it all.

~michelle pendergrass said...

Thank you Heather. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I am so appreciative of you handling this for me.

Thank God my husband is OK. No heart problems. They're going to figure out what it is now. I'll post on my blog a little more info.

I just wanted to say THANK YOU again!!!!