Click one of the links below to take you to our new home!

Sunday, September 24, 2006

Grace Shining Through


And He has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness " Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.
~2 Corinthians 12:9


His promise, that His grace will be sufficient, makes all the difference. Every time I start to doubt my ability as a writer or as an artist He brings this to mind. Am I glad to boast in my weakness so that His power may dwell in me? Well, not glad maybe, but I am determined.

I am not enough. I can write my heart out, spend days drawing or taking photos, I can spend all my time developing the "right" relationships or doing all the "right" things, but unless He is in it I will fail.

For many years I tried too hard. I would work at one thing then another, trying with all my heart to succeed. I wanted to paint so I tried to paint. My paintings were technically good but never sold. I wanted to write so I attempted to write. My writings got me good grades but I didn't know how to sell them. I've done metal smithing, photography, house illustrations, figure drawing, poetry, inspirational nonfiction, fiction. All have shown the talent the Lord gave me, some sold, yet none has gone anywhere because He was not in it.

I am not a genius. He did not make me so. My work is not perfect and I know it well. I know that He has given me some talent in a variety of things. I am Jill of all trades, master of none. Only now am I realizing that this is how He made me. He has given me the desire to create yet there is nothing new under the sun. He has given me many small talents, all of which I am to use to my fullest for His glory.

As I find a use for each one, He blesses it and uses it to bless others. I am learning, with Paul, to glory in my weakness. As I see how He uses my small thing, with all its flaws, to bring glory to Himself, I am greatly blessed.

His grace fills in all the gaping holes of my flaws. He beautifies all my mistakes and then uses them to show others Himself. Praise the Lord for my flaws, praise the Lord for my lack, praise the Lord for my weakness, for it is through those holes that He shines for all to see.

Heather Young is a saved by grace, homeschooling, mother of three, wife of one, writer, artist, and web designer who drinks way too much coffee and spends too much time at her computer. She writes for Graced by Christ, Everyday Miracles, and Writer....Interrupted. Someday, God willing, she will finish one of her WIP and attempt to get it published, but not until God says the timing is right.

1 comment:

Gina Conroy said...

Beautiful words! I often feel like a Jill of all trades as well. May he use us all to his glory.